Here are some of the top stories in TSB world in 2012 that were debated and discussed….enjoy and discuss again.
1. ACC Comings & Goings. Notre Dame joins the ACC (except for football), charter member Maryland bolts to the Big 10, and Louisville becomes a member of the ACC.
2. Austin Rivers Shot. In another classic UNC/Duke basketball game, Austin Rivers 3-point shot at the buzzer over Tyler Zeller wins the game in Chapel Hill.
3. Gio Bernard’s Punt Return Also an exciting game, UNC snaps their losing streak to NC State in football as Gio Bernard’s punt return touchdown with 13 seconds left gives the Tar Heels the win.
4. Karl Hess Ejects Corchiani and Gugliotta. ACC fans hate referees, (see: Cherry, Ron) so when Karl Hess threw Corch and Googs out of the RBC/PNC Arena, a red and white firestorm erupted. Something called Wolfpack Unlimited was born.
5. NC State’s Run to The Sweet 16. On Selection Sunday NC State was the last team to be announced to make the NCAA Tournament. Mark Gottfried, in his first season, took the team on a run all the way to the Sweet 16 before falling to Kansas.
6. The UNC Lost Colony in Tallahassee. Blue Steel was left behind in a blowout loss to Florida State. Roy tried to get his team off the court before it was stormed, forgot the 5 walk-ons who were in to run out the clock.
7. Lehigh Beats Duke. The Blue Devils were a #2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and only had to make a bus trip to Greensboro for the game. #15 seed Lehigh won 75-70. They became only the sixth 15th seed to win a game. UNC fans at the game (and everywhere else) rejoiced.
8. Kendall Marshall’s Wrist. In the second round game vs Creighton, Marshall broke his wrist on a hard foul. UNC’s shot at a Final Four and possible title were also broken. After barely getting past Ohio, they lost to Kansas in the Elite 8.
9. TOB Fired, Dave Doeren Hired. After six seasons, Tom O’Brien was let go as NC State’s football coach. Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren was hired one week later as the new head coach. He is the youngest football coach in the ACC.
10. Duke football Becomes Bowl Eligible. ACC Coach of the Year David Cutcliffe led the Blue Devils to their first bowl game since 1994. They became eligible by beating North Carolina.
Honorable Mention UNC Football Scandal…The Saga Continued. From Julius Peppers transcript to the Martin Report.
HM #2. Free SmallandPettyPat
Have a great 2013 everybody…